May 31, 2017

37 years ......


When I started running 37 years ago, I would always make it a point to hand carry my running gear whenever and wherever I travel... be it a local destination in the Philippines and most especially when traveling out of the country. I keep my gear close to me simply because my philosophy has always been "mawala na lahat, ang maleta, wag lang running gear ko".  I know it may be a bit dramatic but that's how much running has been a part of my life.  I even have a set of running gear in the office and the trunk of my car just in case I find the opportunity or the urge to just go for a run wherever I may find myself in. 

And so it finally happened..... 
On a recent trip to Boston my luggage just went MIA. This has never happened to me before but, in spite of the unfortunate circumstance, I still took comfort in the fact that I had my running gear neatly tucked away in my backpack.  I was still able to get up early the next morning, lace up my running shoes and do a 15.36 km run along the familiar streets of Boston. 

Eventually, my suitcase did arrive and made a timely appearance at the hotel.  This experience just made me realize that my passion and love for running has never wavered but simply evolved with me as the years go by.  I may not be as fast as I used to be, I may be more prone to injury than normal because of age and the like but I have never lost my enthusiasm and eagerness to run... still making sure that I will never miss an opportunity to run whenever and wherever in the world I may be.

Today, May 31 , 2017,  I celebrate my 37 years of Running with a present Running Mileage of 108,665.19 kms