Mar 17, 2018

No Waze to Life - 55 YEARS OLD



Alarm rings at precisely 4am like it has been doing so every single day for many decades now.  It signals the moment I get up and do my daily ritual -  say a morning prayer, coffee, “banyo”,  stretch and then out by approximately 4:45 to run and/or bike for a couple of hours or so.  Then I do my stretches, take a shower, office by 8.30 (on weekdays) have more coffee and a light brekky. By noontime,  I’d most likely be taking a “power siesta” to get me through the rest of the day. That is more or less the extent of my daily ritual and today is no exception even if today is the day I turn 55.  Yes, I’m 55 and if anybody says  I’m “OLD”, they just blew a birthday blowout at PANCAKE HOUSE! ha ha.

Kidding aside, though it may not have been an easy road, in my 55 years I have learned to appreciate the journey. There really is no direct path through life. You can’t “waze” it and take the easy route. I would say that life is about keeping an open mind, and following the heart.  There are so many paths to explore and if you just focus on the final destination, you may become completely oblivious to the places and sights you might only be moments away from.  You may find that there is another, slightly more wiggly path that may be an interesting alternative part of your journey.  Sometimes you may hit a dead-end and may have to double back a bit.  The journey is all the little things, all the stops we make along the way, wrong turns and detours included. We grow and learn and become who we are. It’s all the memories we have, all the laughs, all the lessons. It’s traveling, seeing new things and new places, experiencing all that we can. It’s meeting new people, making connections, making friends, learning from others. It’s feeling pain, grief, joy, sadness, love, loss and everything in-between.  Life is made up of moments, good and bad with each moment as precious as the last. Nothing is guaranteed and nothing should be taken for granted.

So here I am at 55.  Though still contemplating whether I should run or bike today, there is one thing I do know for sure.  Yes I’m “effing” old (*pardon my French) and while  I still have a destination to reach, at least at this point in my journey,  I am happy.  At the end of the day, thats all that really matters.
Happy Birthday to me!